Friday, July 19, 2013

Personality-Based Goals

I've recently been reading a very interesting series of articles by Steve Pavlina about choosing your goals. In "Do Your Goals Conflict with Your Personality?" he points out that the traditional method of categorizing goals (health, work, finance, etc.) can quickly lead you astray, because the goals are not aligned with the things that motivate you.

This has me thinking. I have read before that in order to be successful with goals, there needs to be a deeply meaningful reason behind it. For example, saying "I want to run every morning" is not enough. It is obviously more effective to say "I want to run every morning because I value being fit, it makes me feel strong, it clears my mind to set me up for a great day..." whatever the reason, it has to strike a deeper cord within. But, this article suggests to start with the values and build goals out of them. For example, again, instead of saying "I want to run every morning," you might say "One of my core personality traits is a Champion; this side of me could be satisfied by running every morning."

Of course it gets deeper as you start to mix and match your core personality traits, but the gist is that your goals should express your personality rather than conflict with it.

Meraki: To do something with soul, creativity, or love - See more at: http://darlingmagazine.org/all-articles/page/6/#sthash.xdtsFABK.dpuf
Meraki: To do something with soul, creativity, or love - See more at: http://darlingmagazine.org/all-articles/page/6/#sthash.xdtsFABK.dpuf
Today I'll be working on my list of core personality traits. I've been thinking a lot about what habits I'd like to do in the future; I might also like to overlap them. So, this is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment